Best First Dance Songs From Contemporary Artists
Congratulations! You’re getting married. Now it’s time to plan that special moment together in the spotlight as husband and wife – your first dance. Now’s the hard part, what song will you choose for your first dance?
You may already know some of the classic first dance songs for weddings such as “At Last” by Etta James or “L-O-V-E” by Nat King Cole but maybe you want want something a little more modern and appropriate for you and your friends. So what are some first dance songs by contemporary artists? Here’s our pick of some of the best first dance songs for weddings by contemporary artists.
Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
Coming Home by Leon Bridges
Love You Like That by Canaan Smith
Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars
Who You Love by John Mayer featuring Katy Perry
Mirrors by Justin Timberlake
Rewind by Rascal Flatts
Marry Me by Jason Derulo
Stay With Me by Sam Smith
Baby I’m Yours by Arctic Monkeys
Funny First Dance
And who knows, if none of these wedding dance songs appeal to you maybe what you should do is just put together a mix tape of your own favorite songs and have fun like this couple did (The fun starts around 1:34)!
5 First Dance Tips For Your Wedding Dance
- One of the tips for choosing a good first dance is that your wedding dance song should have a strong beat that you can dance to, and make sure to check that the lyrics are appropriate for a wedding.
- Keep your wedding dance relatively short and sweet (2-3 minutes) so your guests are entertained but not bored.
- Avoid the hug and shuffle and learn a couple of real dance steps. The basic box step is very easy to learn and can be danced to almost any wedding song. Learning a few basic wedding dance moves will make you much more confident and relaxed on the dance floor together.
- Create an elegant entrance to the dance floor. This is your moment to shine and everyone will be watching so be sure to walk out gracefully while holding hands. You can even add an underarm turn into closed position when you reach the center of the dance floor for the perfect entrance.
- Remember to rehearse in your wedding dress and shoes. It is absolutely essential that you practice your first dance while wearing your wedding dress and shoes since we don’t want you to trip over your wedding dress. And since you will be dancing, make sure you know what happens when you raise your arms to do a dance move such as an underarm turn, especially if you are wearing a strapless dress!
- Don’t forget the picture perfect dip at the end of your wedding dance. Take it slow so that all the photographers can get ready and then hold the dip for a few moments for picture taking time. You can also add a kiss at the end if you are feeling in the mood. ; )
- Finally, just relax and have fun. This is your special moment as a couple and your first dance together should be a special event that you remember and cherish forever.